Slowing global economy, Russian ruble falling to the lowest levels since 1998 and drastic decrease of consumer income are just some of the bad things that will continue to influence all kinds of businesses located in Moscow and Russia. The good thing is that Moscow nightlife didn’t stop despite all these tough economic conditions. Some night clubs open and some shut thier doors for good. People move from one venue to another. Life goes on!
Browse by Category: Click any of the links below to jump to the desired section:
- Vote for Your Favorite Moscow Night Club!
- Moscow Nightclubs that Have Been Shutdown
- Moscow Nightlife 2017 – 2018: Best Places to Party
- Kianu Bar
- Bar Klava
- Ess-Thetik Bar
- Simachev Bar
- Propaganda Moscow
- Duran Bar
- Squat ¾
- Maybe Restaurant and Club
- Troyka Multispace
- Mondriaan Bar
- Untitled Gastro Bar
This means that the Moscow nightlife scene is in the process of adapting to the new reality. We’ll definitely see a lot of places get shot down in the upcoming years. At the same time high quality clubs and restaurants will be able to do much better and live through the difficult times.
Vote for Your Favorite Moscow Night Club!
I’d like to start my Moscow nightlife list with the clubs that have encountered new economic reality and had to shut down.
Moscow Nightclubs that Have Been Shutdown
- Soho Rooms. One of the most expensive night clubs in the capital of Russia called Soho Rooms has been officially shut down in April of 2017. During the past 10 years this club was one of the main attraction points for the local riches of all types. Politicians, oligarchs, local pop stars and lots of beautiful women packed inside Soho every weekend night. Good thing is that the traffic jam in front of the club’s main entrance during weekend nights is gone for good!
- Krysha Mira. “Krysha” that has been around for the whole decade has also closed its doors in 2017. This was one of the symbols of Moscow nightlife. We will always remember huge traffic jams consisting of insanely expensive limousines in front of the club as well as its dance floor packed with the hottest women of Moscow.
- Solyanka. This clubs has also been around for almost a decade and it was one of the most friendly casual underground night clubs in Moscow. High quality electronic music and afterhours parties attracted stylish locals and expats. Apparently there were some problems with the rental fees that could not be covered on time.
- Konstruktor. Konstruktor opened its doors on the Moscow nightlife scene in 2015. It was a pretty big club that could accommodate more than 1000 guests. It had one of the best high end sound systems in town and was targeted at large electronic music events. It had to shut its doors in 2017 after failing to sell-out for several major events.
- Mishka Bar. Thats actually a well-known hipster type of place in Saint Petersburg. In 2015 they started holding weekly parties in Moscow at the premises of the Blum Café. Younger crowd loved its casual atmosphere and high quality electronic music that included a lot of Disco and Funk. This year Mishka left Moscow for good to work on their new project in Saint Petersburg.
- Vanilla Ninja. This was a private guest list only underground night club similar to Krysha Mira. Closed parties, models and one of the hardest to get into door policies didn’t last for too long. The club didn’t manage to live through the economic downturn and had to close its doors for good.
- Space Club Moscow. This was probably one of the biggest clubs on the Moscow nightlife scene. It was very well known for its huge electronic music raves and big name DJs like Tiesto. The closure of Moscow extension is linked to the closure of the Space Club in Ibiza.
- Motel Club From the Creators of Gipsy
Motel club, located near Tsvetnoy boulevard subway station has been finally shut down. It was a preaty big night club that occupied 3 floors of one of the old Moscow mansions in the center of the city. The place was positioned as a premium night club with lots of expensive autos parked at the front door and strict face control. But the music sucked and it never feeled comfortable inside….
Moscow Nightlife 2017 – 2018: Best Places to Party
Don’t allow that closed night clubs list to make you feel sad or depressed. You can still enjoy Moscow nightlife! Here is another list that has all the right places.
Patriarch Ponds: A New Moscow Nightlife Cluster
There is a new restaurant and bars cluster developing in the Patriarch Ponds area of Moscow similar to the degrading Krasny Oktyabr. This new area is much more compact and upscale, plus it has a much better historic location. In summer the main street called Malaya Bronnaya where most of the bars and restaurants are located gets filled with stylish crowd moving from one place to another. I’d like to mention my top 3 venues here.
The first place I will mention is called Kianu. That’s actually a small bar with DJs playing nice underground house music. It gets extremely packed on summer weekends. Kianu can’t accommodate all of its guests, so a large portion of its visitors prefer to hang out outside with their glasses of wine.
- The second one is called Bar Klava. This place is also very small and gets extremely packed with trendy locals and expats during weekend nights. It has plenty of good looking women and more relaxed music like disco and pop.
- The third place is called Ess-Thetik located one block away from the previous two bars. This one is actually a small café open 24 hours during weekends. It gets packed by people that are tired of dancing at Klava and Kianu. It is known for its grilled sausages menu that you can eat outside sitting on the bench. The external heaters allow to sit outside even during colder nights.
Simachev is one of the pioneers of Moscow nightlife that has managed to survive all the economic downturns so far. It’s sleek interiors and high quality electronic music attract stylish Moscow crowd every weekend night.
Facebook Page: https://ru-ru.facebook.com/dsbar/
Propaganda has been around for more than 20 years on the Moscow nightlife scene. DJ Sanches probably holds the longest-running night club residency in the whole Moscow with his famous Thursday Nights here. Inside it looks just the same as it used to – back in 1997. The only difference is the new generation of people on the dance floor. 20 Years ago most of them were newborns.
Facebook Page: https://ru-ru.facebook.com/PropagandaMoscow/
Duran Bar used to be the hottest place in town about 2 years ago. Today things have changed and I guess it’s worth visiting it from time to time depending on the party.
Facebook Page: https://ru-ru.facebook.com/duranbarmoscow/
Squat ¾ is referred to as the new Solyanka by a lot of people. It is centrally located at the premises of historic Sandunóvskie Baths, built in the 19th century. Make sure that your name is on the guest list and check out their underground techno parties on weekend evenings.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/squat3.4
Gazgolder is the new Moscow’s underground techno outpost that has gone mainstream. Check out their weekly parties held by the major Moscow’s promo teams. They also hold regular showcase events of various European electronic music festivals. You’ll like its dark interiors, tall ceilings, brick walls and a fireplace.
Facebook Page: https://ru-ru.facebook.com/gazgolderclub/
This place is actually very new. It was recently opened at the premises of the closed Krysha Mira by the same team. The roof level has been totally rebuilt. It now has several bars and a huge sitting area with lots of tables. So in general the focus of the new Krysha has shifted from dancing to food and drinks. Quality music remains to be one of their priorities and you’ll see some Krysha’s DJs spinning records there from time to time. The kitchen is managed by Italian chef Umberto Rocca who previously worked at several well-known restaurants in Moscow and Milan.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Maybemoscow-1332322096854702/
Troyka Multispace: Hardest to Get Into
There is a historic mansion located on Yuzskaya street that hosts one of most closed Moscow night clubs called Tryka Multispace. Inside there are engineering systems that allow to transform the club’s interior by changing its floor levels and moving the stage.
That’s the only venue on the Moscow nightlife scene that opens its doors only once a month. This means that these guys do a great job in preparing for their parties that feature top of the line underground DJs and extravagant performances. Every month a large number of expensive autos line up near the entrance of Troyka to bring guests directly to the club’s doors. Troyka has a lot of similarities with Krysha Mira. This is quite reasonable considering the fact that its creators used to be part of the “Krysha” team.
Here is the new bar that started to gain its popularity in 2017. It’s called Mondriaan and it’s located in the heart of Moscow on Petrovka street. In terms of design, the bar looks like a smaller copy of Propaganda. It has the same brick walls, large windows that face the Boulevard and a wooden bar table. The place is tiny – the total sitting area can accumulate the maximum number of 30 guests. During weekend nights the tables get removed and the whole sitting area turns into dance floor. Mondriaan gets really packed at night while the DJs spin good quality house music.
Untitled Gastro Bar
This is a new place located near Stoleshnikov pereulok, next door to Haggis Pub & Kitchen. Untitled functions as a gastro bar during the day and as a night club during the night. This place reminds me of Propaganda in many ways. The interior design includes stylish brick walls and tall ceilings. They also put a lot of focus on high quality electronic music. Their weekly parties feature all kinds of music ranging from old school disco to hip hop.
Check out their facebook page for the upcoming events: https://www.facebook.com/untitledhub/
Some Adult Clubs
One of the Moscow strip clubs that has expanded its business in 2015 was the club called Virgins. Its first location is way outside the downtown area which is not too convenient. Now they have another club near the Taganskaya subway station that is much closer to the center.